All the mouthwatering recipes in our series “The Main Ingredient” have one thing in common: They all contain cookies.
Sunny days. Running through sprinklers. Icy cold drinks. These are the things summer is made of when you’re a kid. And what better way to add to the season’s memory bank than sweet treats that are both easy to make and completely customizable?
Fun, fast, and flavorful are my three go-tos when I’m planning lazy-summer-day treats that I know will be hits with kids, as well as kids at heart. Whether I’m hosting a BBQ, gathering the family and kids for a swim, or just because, I like to pull out no-sweat crowd-pleasers like these mini chocolate chip cookie “pizzas.”
The inspiration for these comes from my pizza-obsessed 9-year-old. When I told her she could customize her own mini chocolate chip cookie pizza using Cheryl’s classic chocolate chip cookies, her eyes lit up. The mom in me felt good about all the sliced fresh fruit, but it’s the sprinkles and other goodies layered atop a yummy cream-cheese-based icing “sauce” that clinched the deal for her.
With two neighborhood kids in tow, the intrepid trio of friends got to making their own “pies.” The resounding verdict? Six thumbs up. Or, as my daughter put it, “Best. Day. Ever!”
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie ‘Pizzas’ FTW!
All you need is a group of cookie lovers with a side of imagination, a few bowls, plates, spoons, and a shady nook to create your very own mini chocolate chip cookie pizzas. The best part is everyone gets to dress their pizza as they wish — loaded with fresh fruit, colorful sprinkles, or maybe just a dusting of coconut “cheese.”
Now it’s your turn to make this easy summer no-bake dessert!
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie ‘Pizzas’
- 8 ounce brick of plain cream cheese
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- Few drops vanilla
- Strawberries, grapes, and blueberries (cut into rounds)
- Shredded coconut
- Slivered almonds
- Colored sprinkles
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Gummy candies or sour gummies
- Any other fruit or treats your family and friends enjoy
- 1 dozen Cheryl's chocolate chip cookies
- Blend 8 ounces of room temperature, brick-style plain cream cheese with a quarter cup of packed brown sugar and a few drops of vanilla. Beat until fluffy. This will become your pizza “sauce." Tip: If it's a scorcher outside, put the icing in a bowl in the refrigerator to set a bit before taking it outside (if that's where you'll be making these ). Try to keep ingredients out of direct sunlight if you do go outside, as the fruit, cookies, candies, and chocolate chips will all fare better under a patio umbrella or the shade of a tree.
- Remove your Cheryl's chocolate chip cookies from their wrappers and set them out on a plate, platter, or tray.
- In a variety of small bowls, set out your toppings. These can include:– Strawberry “pepperoni"– Green grape and blueberry “olives"– Shredded coconut “cheese" (we suggest unsweetened since there are a lot of sweet components already in the mix)– Slivers of almonds– Your choice of colored sprinkles (these can be iridescent, metallic, neon, or primary colored…whatever you've got or whatever you like)– Chocolate sprinkles "ants" or "logs"– Gummy candies or sour gummies– Chocolate chips (white, milk, or dark)– Any other fruit or treats your family and friends enjoy (such as cut-up pieces of marshmallows, crumbled candy bars, granola, or even your favorite morning cereal)
- Set out plates for each person. Then, ask everyone in attendance to choose a cookie, ice it with the cream cheese icing, and then layer on whatever toppings they like. Tip: Start with the bigger items, such as the fruit, and end with a dusting of shredded coconut or sprinkles.
- Set out glasses of ice cold milk and bring on the fun!