In our series “A Helping Hand,” learn to show others how much you care about them through kind acts and thoughtful gestures. In this article, we provide 46 messages for what to write in a get-well card.
Finding the words to write in a get-well card isn’t always easy. We send well wishes to someone when they are dealing with illness, injury, or other unfortunate news. While the reason for the card may be sad, it offers the opportunity to show our support and express how much we care.
“A get-well note should make the recipient feel supported and loved,” says Tia Newcomer, CEO of personal health nonprofit CaringBridge. “Helping people stay connected at a time when they feel very disconnected from normal life can often mean the most.”
The tone of a get-well note should be personable, supportive, and thoughtful. Newcomer suggests making your card a tribute by including personal touches. “Oftentimes, including a memory in your card can make it even more special,” she says. “Jot down one of your favorite funny or touching stories, or even just a word or phrase that reminds you of them.”
Below are examples of heartfelt get-well messages that are encouraging, hopeful, and even humorous. Whatever you write, the simple gesture of reaching out can go a long way toward making your loved one feel better.
For a child
- Wishing on every star that you get better soon!
- [Pet name] and I are thinking about you. We hope you feel better soon.
- Sending a ray of sunshine your way because you always brighten my day. Get well soon!
- Sending the biggest hugs and kisses to a special little boy/girl. I love you!
- From everyone in [name of class], get well soon. We miss you so much!
To your partner
- Home isn’t the same without you. Please get better so you can be back where you belong.
- I miss your hugs and kisses. I love you so much, [nickname]!
- I’m not surprised that germs got attracted to you. It happened to me, too. Get well soon!
- Feel better, my love. I’m keeping our bed warm for you.
- You are in my heart always, [nickname]. Get well soon so we can go to [favorite date spot]!
Messages for moms
- To the woman who raised me to be strong, I share some of that strength with you. I know you’ll get through this because you’re the strongest person I know. I love you and am wishing you all the best in your recovery.
- It wasn’t until now that I truly realized all that you do for me — like always knowing where my stuff is! All joking aside, I can’t begin to tell you how much I love and appreciate you. Mom, I know you’ll be back on your feet, feeling better than ever, in no time.
- I’m just now realizing that even Wonder Woman can get sick. Sending lots of positive vibes and even more hugs and kisses your way as you heal, mom.
- I know this isn’t the way you wanted to spend your time, but take comfort in knowing that you’ll come out of this stronger than ever. Wishing you all the best as you make your way toward a speedy recovery!
Get-well messages for dads
- When I was younger and would fall, a big hug from you always made me feel better. While your illness may be bigger than a scratched knee, I’m hoping a big hug and lots of love have the power to make you feel better, too!
- Wishing you a full recovery. Like Hercules said, “A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength but by the strength of his heart.” To my hero and personal Hercules, know that you can beat this!
- Like you always taught me, a positive attitude can get you through almost anything. Sending you lots of love, positivity, and prayers. We love you and get well soon!
For a grandparent
- You were always there for me, so now it’s my turn! Sending you all my love and well-wishes for a speedy recovery, [Grandma/Nana].
- How dare germs try to make a home in my grandma! I’m wishing you the best of health and sending you all my love.
- Before you know it, you’ll beat this illness and we’ll be back to [insert activity you do together]. I can’t wait to see you again, Grandma.
- Here’s hoping that a little encouragement goes a long way. Sending you all my love and hopes for an easy road to recovery!
Get-well messages for friends
- Feel better, [name]! Sending you all my love.
- You mean the world to me. I hope you feel better soon.
- Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get back to being your amazing self!
- Feel better, friend! Sending lots of hugs and healing thoughts your way.
- I look forward to having your light back in my life. Get well soon.
What to write in a get-well note for a colleague
- Work isn’t the same without you! Hoping to see your smiling face soon.
- Looking forward to seeing you back at our home away from home.
- Hoping you find strength in each new day. We’re thinking of you!
- Get well soon. You are missed.
- I’m so sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. You’re not just a colleague but a friend. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help during this difficult time.
Get-well notes after surgery
- Sending my best wishes to you as you recover from your surgery.
- I’m glad to hear your surgery went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
- Hope your recovery is quick and easy. Before you know it, you’ll be [insert favorite activity] like a pro again.
- I’m happy to hear you’re on the mend. You’re going to bounce back stronger than ever!
- You’re the strongest person I know. You got this!
Get-well messages for a serious illness or injury
- I’m sorry to hear the news about your diagnosis. I wish you well as you begin treatment.
- You’re the bravest person I know. You’re going to come out of this stronger than ever.
- You are not alone. We will be here for you every step of the way.
- Your strength inspires me. You’re in my thoughts during this difficult time.
- Thinking of you as you begin treatment. Feel better soon.
Humorous get-well notes
- Life is boring without you. Get better and come back soon!
- The doctor says you’re on a diet, so I’ll have to eat all the cake and ice cream here on your table.
- Hoping you’ll be back to your awesome self soon. I want to know what hospital food tastes like!
- You really like to steal the limelight, don’t you? Feel better soon!
- All this for a few days off work? Get well soon!
Send something special
Nothing goes better with a get-well card than a get-well gift. From flowers and comforting gifts to premade meals to a thoughtful box of chocolate, lift their spirits with a delivery that will make their day.